Thursday 28 August 2008

Ramble ramble

A flyer here, a flyer there, a subtle link here, a subtle hint there. Well, no more self-promotion from me. Enjoy yourselves.

Here's a simple bloggy post; the beatz i've been cranking out. These posts don't always have to have a point; you should just be satisfied to be hearing what I listen to. Here are my top reggaeton/dancehall/one-drop tracks.

Btw, you should note that the each have Youtube links; it's not to make a point about illegal downloading or owt, it's just because Youtube seems to be the focal point for new dancehall, rather than forums or blogs or whatever. So, with each song, if you're lucky, you'll get a video with jiggly sexy ladies. Or you may get a picture of jiggly sexy lady. Or you may get a silhouette of a sexy lady, standing against a Jamaican flag.

Beenie Man, feat T.O.K. - Bring It On

Beenie Man is pretty much my favourite dancehall dude; the main parallel to be drawn between American hip-hop and dancehall is that it's primarily about singles and the occasional mix-tape. Which means that Beenie is the main man, simply due him being so consistant with the quality of his work. Nice.

Turbulence - Notorious

A bit of an obvious selection; I play it every party I'm ever at and it's generally considered to be the high-point of reggae or, probably more specifically, one-drop of this century. Although, Turbulence hasn't come close to matching this track. But then again, no-one else has so I'll cut home-boy some slack.

Chezidek - Call Pon Dem

Another no-brainer. I won't pretend to understand the political aspect of the track, other than venturing that it's something to do with 'legalising da 'erb'. But never mind; melodically, it's a nice wee breezy hummable number. Sweet organ on the chorus too.

D'Angel - Blaze

Probably the most Americanised track here, which makes it odd that it was overlooked by day-time radio over here. Not much to say really; just a straight-forward bit of club music. I'm not up on my dancehall gossip, but I think I remember hearing that she's Bennie Man's missus. Recognise.

Sean Paul - Watch Dem Roll

I'll actually defend Sean Paul to the death. His beats can sometimes be lazy, but his flow is consistantly brilliant. So i've no problems with him. This particular track works very well because it has a nice hyper drum track, which I'm appreciating very much. Props to Sean Paul; his rhyme schemes are just as good as Lil Wayne's or 3000's, so I don't know why he gets overlooked.

Aiiiii. Oh, and it's the Ballers Social Club's 1st birthday at the Art School on the 12/9. Sets from The Bug and Warrior Queen, as well Memory9 and Rob Soundcrash.

Bring in the love, yeah?

No comments: